Subject: [Leica] La Barceloneta, a BAR
From: nod at bouncing.org (Philip Clarke)
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 09:46:10 +0100

I found them, I've only taken two pictures in the last year (that may
even be 3 years), they are there

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Philip+Clarke/images/

They are really badly done in photoshop, the first is with a ricoh
compact. These are not excuses I accept the blame for the mis-printing.
They fulfill the criterea for my three rules (and Tina should remember
these from ten years ago)

a) make sure the background is not distracting
b) come back with something different
c) always know when to break the rules

My timing was off with the Ricoh on the blow up the little girl's feet
are not on the bench but that is 100% my responsibility as I should have
compensated more for the shutter lag. Note the date, I do not know if it
was an April fool's the camera is my wife's. The woman's t-shirt had
blown highlights and I've done a bad job of bringing it down, but the
colour fringing is the camera. The burning in is quite subtle in other
areas, if you look you'll see there is less density of stone chips in
the concrete between the two bench and at the end of the girl's, so it
is lighter in real life, so it's been taken down to match the rest,
although I suppose I could have cloned it. I chose the wide end of the
lens. I saw the picture before I held the camera, moved and chose the
appropriate lens. Telephoto compression was not desired.

The woman is in focus, on the RAW version her jumper is certainly, but
at 1/6th of a second she may have moved her eyes, all credit to image
stabilisation though, at 60mm (equivalent 12.8mm in the exif data) in
"the old days" I'd have been sharp handheld at 1/15 but 1/8th would e
shaky territory.This is jpeg off the camera with work done. If you look
at the glasses you'll see the restaurant has spot lights, this led to a
bright patch on the wall, so it was taken down. Off the right of the
frame is a door window and a waiter, so the camera could not move any
further around, I may remove the bottom plate on a crop. I don't think
I've altered her skin tone. I suspect she is not a customer as she does
not have a napkin on her table, but people tend to think of her as
lonely. I will probably also tone down the two furtherest napkins on the
right. The line of the door on the right irritates me and I won't do a
bartlett border the next time. When I've got to grip with capture one
and the concept of "extra headroom" I will "re-print" it.

So that's two pictures that illustrate leading lines, multiple focal
points of interest, "darkroom" work, timing, focal length, ambient
light, removing colour casts, oversharpening a jpeg; yes I do practise
what I preach, and I don't do it with any pretension my pictures taken
on compact cameras are just as criticised as when I used M6's.