Subject: [Leica] IMG: Just for fun
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 16:17:45 -0700

Bob Adler offered:

>>Satturday took me a bit out of my comfort zone photographically; a less
planned

> approach shooting hand held at f1.4. It was really a treat with the M8!

> We had our annual Seder (Passover) dinner on Saturday night. My favorite
catch

> was this one:

> http://raflexions.com/2009Seder/content/L1000706_large.html

> It's a lovely evening with family and friends. We had lots to celebrate:
happy kids, growing families, new engagements and just catching up. I
thought the

> table setting was very lovely this year:

> http://raflexions.com/2009Seder/content/L1000706_large.html
<http://raflexions.com/2009Seder/content/L1000706_large.html%3c%3c%3c> <<<

Hi Bob,

Over all? A wonderful set of photographs.

Sometimes it's interesting to throw "caution to the wind" and shoot wide
open just for the heck of it and end up with a picture series you never
thought would work as well as these. The beautiful thing about doing this
is, we learn that it doesn't always have to be "f. 8.0 and be there!" :-)

They are beautiful, however! ;-) A small note about the dining table which
is beautifully done, but maybe?

A tiny point of cropping for a thought!

As we look at the frame right at the bottom try cropping the first place
setting off about to the far edge of the booklet on the plate. This still
retains the orange coloured edge of the plate about where the sharpness
begins to happen. What this tiny bit of cropping does is,  it eliminates the
very out of focus bottom edge of the photograph and we begin to look at the
setting & scene at a sharp point which carries well into the background.

The out of focus foreground is actually a "visual block" getting right into
the scene. Notice how your eyes fight to go beyond this out of focus area.
As soon as they look into the very sharp area? We are sitting at the table
and not fighting an attempt to bring the foreground into focus.

I bet if you crop it as I've suggested and make a print you'll be very
surprised how effective that tiny bit off makes to the impact of the
picture.

You can do the same thing by holding up a white card to the screen, crop
this area off, it isn't much because you do have to keep the far orange edge
of the plate setting to see how effective the photo becomes with the crop.
It's the far edge of the booklet that's tie crop line, but keeping the plate
orange in.

Other than this tiny bit, it is a smashing photo.

ted

Replies: Reply from rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] IMG: Just for fun)