Subject: [Leica] Ultimate travel Tripod and matching case case
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 07:08:31 +1000

Hi Jan. I agree with the very experienced travel photographer Tina. However
if you are pepared to carry a tripod because you want to shoot very long
exposures, or just wring the very best from your lenses (doing a lot of
landscape photography for example), then the Gitzo that you mention is the
ultimate in portability. A not inconsiderable investment of course. Really
consider the compromise of a good quality monopod though. Also you can
improve both tripod and monopod by fitting a dedicated head for the
functions you want. Take a look at Really Right Stuff for some options
there. you can get their whole catalog online and it has a lot of useful
info in there.

I bought a set of good carbon legs from Manfrotto (price less ruinous than
Gitzo) and a Gitzo head. However the head while really well made is just too
bulky for what I wanted (with a quick release plate). G1278M I think. I
don't have it with me currently. I'm getting a more compact ball head from
RRS. Also the Gitzo still suffers from the trait of almost all tripods with
a flat plate on top. The camera can still twist, which is annoying. Consider
a system with a dedicated plate that fits your camera.