Subject: [Leica] IMG: HDR?
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2009 11:59:55 -0400

I like HDR as what the name implies: High Dynamic Range.  Taking
multiple images at different exposures to capture huge dynamic range,
and merging them in post.  You end up with a real HDR image which you
then have to compress the tonal values to display anything.  I think
it looks best when it is done subtilely and not cranking up the
shadows too much.  Where in a normal images, details just fade into
the murk of shadows, an HDR image processed to my liking will have
shadows that look like shadows, but when you study them carefully,
there's an incredible amount of detail there.

For some reason it annoys me that the 'HDR look' is synonymous with
cranked contrast; crazy over sharpening with shadow and highlight
recovery, often times on images that actually don't have high dynamic
range.  Maybe I'm too sensitive.  Haha.