Subject: [Leica] Full frame again!
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 14:42:30 -0700

I hate to be a spoil sport when interesting ideas
are floated, but all of those solutions have
serious drawbacks.

The last, which equates to a scanning back, is
basically unacceptable due to the inertia of the
system. Scanning backs are useful for large
formats where one shot sensors are not
(economically) available, but for general
photography we're moving away from them. Also, a
scanning solution doesn't address the steep angle
of incidence, except possibly to some degree by
rotating the sensor strip as it moves across the
frame. The mechanics of this would be a
nightmare, and to have this go evenly across the
sensor plane in 1/250 second and also not
increase the thickness of the M cameras seems
extremely unlikely in any practical sense.

The fibre optic solution that Marty Forscher
used, as far as I know, was only direct
transmission, not reduction. He made a polaroid
back for cameras where he couldn't actually fit
the polaroid material at the true film plane, so
he 'extended' the film plane far enough behind
the camera to be able to fit the bulky polaroid
back. This solution also doesn't really solve the
angle of incidence problem. The proposed solution
addresses a problem that isn't there, namely the
sensor size. FF sensors are available, and prices
by now are reasonable. The problem is fitting a
sensor at the image plane of the lenses. Nikon
had polaroid backs which used a folded optical
path to expand and extend the image to fill a
polaroid frame, giving a large enough image to
actually judge composition. The Forscher backs
produced 35mm sized images on polaroids, which
were hard to do anything with.

The intermediate lens solution, as the previous
one, would make a camera that is significantly
thicker than an M, which is unacceptable. I would
not use a camera that is 20-30mm thicker; or I
would certainly not prefer a FF M camera of that
size  over the current M8. The M8 is a much more
workable solution. The intermediate lens solution
introduces horrendous optical issues, as does the
fibre optic solution. Again, the angle of
incidence issue is passed onto another part of
the camera that can't deal with it either.

The problem with the Leica M lenses and the
sensor isn't just that the angle of incidence is
steep, it's that the angle of incidence in the
corners covers such a wide range of angles, from
almost 90? for some of the tele lenses to less
than 30? for some of the wides. That's why
microlenses over the photosites is a relatively
good solution as these increase the acceptable
angle of incidence. A further optimization and
more precise configuring of these microlenses
might well be the best solution at this time.
Software unfortunately cannot really fix things
completely because in the end, all software can
do is throw image information away, and in the
corners with reduced photon impingement and
variable spectral response dynamic range will
suffer.

--

    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design