Subject: [Leica] So a Full Frame M Digital is coming soon???
From: felixmaturana at telefonica.net (FŽelix L—opez de Maturana)
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2009 15:01:47 +0200

>> So this was an interesting evening. My wife and I went down to the French
>> Quarter to see some clients and then get some dinner at Napoleon House.
>> We were there eating and this pretty well known photographer sits across
>> the room from us. Now he has people with him so I don't want to bug him.
>> I notice he has an M8 with him and he taking photos around Napoleon
>> House. So I get up to go to the bathroom, figuring on the way back I'd
>> mention what camera he's using.
>>
>> So I came back and mention "that's a great camera your using, M8 huh?"
>>
>> "Yes, sort of"
>>
>> "Oh the new M8.2"
>>
>> "Well, no. It's sort of a prototype"
>>
>> "Wow"
>>
>> "Let's just say a 50mm is now a 50mm"
>>
>> "Holy crap!"
>>
>> I think he had the new 18mm on there but I'm not 100% sure. If that's the
>> case, he's really shooting wide once again on a Leica M! He would not
>> really say anything else about the camera. It was all black, no red dot,
>> no white lettering where the M8 should be.
>>
>> So here's a grab shot from my wife's iPhone of the two of us, you'll know
>> the face well.
>>

>> www.zoeicaimages.com/Untitled-1.jpg
>>

>> Chris
>> NOLA

Hi Chris

This is a great news!

But the full format isensor s not a true marvel if other things are not
duly arranged. I usually shoot with three different FF reflex and main
problems are the quality in border and corners is poorer tha APS format
sensor cameras *unless* extraordinary quality lenses are fitted to the
camera. Up to now this is easy concerning teles but much more difficult
with wides. Just the new 14-24mm f2.8 from Nikkor does the job not the
Canon and Sony wides that closing to f8 and more improves the truly bad
results at f2.8 in corners and borders. Even Carl Zeiss designing the
new ZA lenses for the Sony Alpha 900 reached the expected quality. Nikon
did with 14-24 and 24-70. Not so the old 70-200mm f2.8.

Probably Leica is the best prepared for solving this difficulty but I'll
not be surprised if some actually good lenses with the M8 do not work in
the same way with the M9.

Regards

Felix