Subject: [Leica] IMG: Trains
From: lug at availabledark.com (Colin)
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2009 14:29:16 -0400

Hi Len,

I liked that first shot of yours alot - the "keep off" tells me that's
exactly where I need to go. :)  It's scary and inviting at the same time.
If historic rail stuff is your thing, may I suggest Allaire State Park in
NJ?  Probably a 45-minute drive from New Hope.

http://www.njmt.org/

Anyway, I found this lonely Pullman in Lambertville, just across the river
from New Hope.  Restoration doesn't seem to be part of the plan, or even
possible anymore.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lensfog/ltm/

BTW the old station in Lambertville is not only open, it's a nice restaurant
now.

regards,
Colin

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:50 AM, Leonard Taupier <len-001 at
verizon.net>wrote:

> Hi Douglas,
>
> This is great. I did not see the cab of the 4-8-4. It also looks like it's
> been moved out of the brush. I also didn't see the tender. Maybe they have
> the pieces inside. They do have some pretty large buildings on the
> property.
>
> Thanks, Now I'm really interested.
> Len
>

> On Mar 30, 2009, at 9:24 AM, Douglas Sharp wrote:
>
>  Hi Len,
>>
>> somebody has been out, done the research and shot the shots :-)
>>
>> http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=48992&Page=1
>>
>> Seems to be more or less complete, but restroring steam locos is a very
>> expensive business. Purchasing and getting the Flying Scotsman running
>> again
>> cost a couple million pounds, keeping it running is about a quarter
>> million
>> per annum.  As soon as the so-called boiler certificate runs out (I
>> believe
>> they run for 10-years) , it means a total refit.
>>
>> As many of the preserved railways are single track, which means forwards
>> and backwards running of locos, the wheels wear out more on the outsides
>> of
>> the curves and have to be swapped over every now and again to ensure even
>> wear - and braking safety - another colossal cost factor.
>>
>> The latest star of the UK railway scene is "Tornado", the first mainline
>> steam locomotive built in the UK for almost 50 years - at a cost of 3
>> million pounds - and looks absolutely breathtaking.
>>
>> *http://tinyurl.com/dbb3ss
>>
>> *Cheers
>> Douglas
>>
>> Leonard Taupier wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Douglas,
>>>
>>> I was hoping you had a chance to look at the photos. I know you like
>>> trains. Maybe in a month or so I'd like to go back and see their steam
>>> engines. I also found a couple other sites nearby that have trains on