Subject: [Leica] Flash memory
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:06:05 -0400

I don't know about any of the tech stuff but I have flash memory
cards (SanDisk SM cards) which still hold images five years after
being exposed in the first Leica Digilux Zoom camera. The camera, my
wife's, hasn't been used for at least three years so the cards have
not been erased. The cards have been through a dozen x-ray scans at
airports and have spent long hours in the car's oven like glove
compartment. These are very close to first generation flash cards,
The obsolete SM (Smart Media) cards had a peak storage capacity of
128 MB and cost about $50 each when new. But then the Leica Digilux
had only a 1.3 Mpixel sensor so you could cram a lot of pictures on a
card. I'm sure the technology is much better now.

Larry Z