Subject: [Leica] M8 shooting without lens coding or IR filters
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2009 23:57:10 -0700

Sue:  I can corroborate pretty much everything Henning said.  IR cut
filters are necessary for best quality, even in black and white. Without
them, you get a slight smearing effect, and less contrast. Some people may
like this effect--I prefer otherwise.

In color, you get unpredictable color shifts in many things--flesh tones,
green plants, and clothing of all kinds.  Sometimes it doesn't matter much,
other times it does.  The Jamie Roberts profiles available for Capture One
help with these issues, but they do not eliminate them.  And since you're
dealing with the effect of light you can't see, you never know when you're
going to be lucky or not.

Check out this comparison under tungsten light, which is rich in IR:
http://users.2alpha.com/~pklein/temp/IRNofiltVsFilt.jpg

The good news is that lenses longer than 35mm don't really need to be
coded.  And even the 35mm lens can live without coding much of the
time--there's a little cyan shift in the corners, but it's often not
noticeable unless you look for it.   So the priority should be to get the
filters for your most-used lenses first.  Get a Milich adapter for the 21
VC and code that.  And then add additional filters as you can.

FWIW, I use IR cut filters on all my lenses.  My 28 and 35mm lenses are
coded, either permanently, or using the M-Coder and a Sharpie marking
pen.  A 50 Summicron I have holds a Sharpie mark well, so I hand-coded that
just to have the focal length in the pictures' EXIF data.  I have not coded
my other 50s or my 90s, and there's no problem.

--Peter

At 09:26 PM 3/25/2009 -0700, Sue asked, and Henning answered:

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] M8 shooting without lens coding or IR filters)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] M8 shooting without lens coding or IR filters)