Subject: [Leica] French to legislate image retouching
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 06:43:03 +0530

George,
I agree with your last paragraph, but I bet you were not like this at
18. I wasn't. It takes time and experience to learn these things.
Cheers
Jayanand

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 12:08 AM, George Lottermoser <imagist3 at mac.com>
wrote:
> I'm with you on this Chris.
> I've spent too much of my life in the ad bus;
> and glad to be winding it down.
> I've not worked (much) in the fashion end of the business;
> but the effect of these retouched dolls on our societies
> and specifically on our young women's self esteem and self image
> is a damn shame and very real.
>
> Ann's daughter is a beautiful 22 year old
> and I watch her (and her mother)
> watching this crap and doing daily battle
> to achieve these impossible looks.
>
> They often don't even believe me
> when I point out that scenes in movies
> are made with body doubles and frame by frame retouching.
>
> I'd love to see the whole industry collapse;
> makeup, surgeries, botox - all of it.
>
> It's one thing to stay healthy and fit;
> quite another when you feel forced to
> paint, starve, cut and paste to compete
> in a world of illusions.
>
> I find women most beautiful
> when they're feel perfectly comfortable with themselves
> and the least makeup is applied.
>
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser
> george at imagist.com
> http://www.imagist.com
> http://www.imagist.com/blog
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/imagist
>
> On Mar 18, 2009, at 12:29 PM, Chris Saganich wrote:
>
>> Well, we are on opposite ends of opinion (and the world). ?I have only
>> contempt for glossy magazines and the entire industry including all
>> advertising. ?From your arguments I feel as though your an Ad man of some
>> sort, something I'm familiar with being in NYC many friends of mine make a
>> living retouching images, in fact almost all the photographers I know call
>> it their bread and butter these days.
>>
>>> This link is a practical example that we have shown our daughter.
>>> http://demo.fb.se/e/girlpower/ad/retouch/index.html
>>
>> Click before and after on the breasts and sing a sea shanty. ?Breasts like
>> that require surgery.
>>

>>> Here this issue has been raised to an extent, with a voluntary code for
>>> women's magazines especially, to follow. Another related issue is minimum
>>> age and weight standards for fashion models. Following media attention
>>> stirring popular opinion, some successful European models have been
>>> withdrawn from high profile shows here on age or weight issues. Yet we
>>> have
>>> 13 yr olds launching successful careers from cover photographs on Teen