Subject: [Leica] Olympus OM lenses to E500
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:56:09 -0500

Larry, I use both Pentax Takumars and a Leitz Elmarit-R 2.8/28 on my E-510,
with different adapters, of course.  The adapter for Pentax lenses includes
a "chip" that is intended to activate the in-focus dot in the viewfinder.
The Leica adapter has no chip.  I agree, it is difficult to visually detect
proper focus in the 4/3rds viewfinders. For closeup work, I can usually get
about one out of two shots in focus.  The chip helps when it works properly,
but doesn't always work.

For most of my recent shots, I have been using the Elmarit lens almost
exclusively.  At a distance, I usually select ISO 200 and aperture priority,
and set the hyperfocal distance on the scale.  This lens has a very good
focusing scale and focuses down to 12 inches.  Since it is by nature a
wide-angle lens, it has a tremendous DOF.  I have had very good luck with
distant images, and have had reasonable success with images down to 12
inches.  I have use f/8 as a normal aperture for many of these, and it works
pretty well.  I have not attempted much closeup work at max aperture.

Most of the recent images in my LUG gallery were made with the Elmarit.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA