Subject: [Leica] Black Tape - Silver Tape?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 21:16:53 -0400

I used to black tape my cameras as I didn't want my photo subjects reading
stuff as I'm taking pictures of them and it was very much the thing most my
photographer friends did in the 80's and early 90's.
The shape of the thing which said "nikon" got hard to black tape in the late
90's and I was not in the mood to tape my first Leica which was silver and
there was no silver tape which was going to blend in like black tape did on
a black camera. Same as on my Rollei 35. It was silver.

I think thieves want to steel stuff they think are main stream commodities.
IPods and iPhone.
Laptops.
And the kind of cameras they see everybody taking pictures with.
Mass market point and shoots and DSLR's.
A Leica does not fit into that category so would be much less a target.

But you leave a bag visible in your car its the bag which is the target and
they'll take what ever is in it.
The main thing is to leave nothing visible in your car.
Or
As in my case
Not have a car.

The bag I carry is a satchel Domke F-803 or sometimes a larger 804. Which
may unfortunately look like it might have a laptop in it.
But as its the most common bag to see people with nowadays I think it makes
sense. It does not look like a "gear bag" or camera bag. With the exception
of back packs. Which are the most common and innocuous. But which you should
wear backwards on the subways and busses or over your side. As people
standing behind you will go into your stuff as you stand there in a crowded
pack.
And you'll have a lighter bag.
I like black canvas.

Mark William Rabiner

> From: <grduprey at mchsi.com>
> Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 00:54:40 +0000
> To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Black Tape - Silver Tape?

Sonny,

In that case I can see why you would cover it up. ?;-)

Gene
?