Subject: [Leica] no more R9 and R lenses
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2009 14:13:23 -0500

Me too.

"the development of the S2 (its first AutoFocus camera), will feed into the
development of a future generation of the R-system."
This is a quote on what's going on from dpreview who is buying into this I
guess. I'm not.
If there is a system comes out which does not use the existing R glass its
not a future generation of the R-system. Its an entirely new SLR system from
Leica.
Just like the Canon EOS system and the Canon F system are two separate
systems. Same format. Both SLR. But you're not putting the f glass on your
EOS. It falls right off they tell me.
Its as if people are saying that "R" when you talk Leica means SLR.
But it just ain't so.
The S system is an example.

Threes a lotta R glass out there I guess people will use them on their
Nikons and Canons with an adaptor that was a lug thread a few weeks ago. Or
some third party company will come out with a body and put a "Leica" on top
of it with a red dot on the side and "Germany" on the box. And everybody
will talk about how their new Leica compares to their Canon.

Mark William Rabiner