Subject: [Leica] Re: Fair use
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Feb 22 06:53:23 2009

This morning the CBS TV show "Sunday Morning" featured the work of
Shepard Fairy, the street artist whose rip off of the AP photo of
Barack Obama sparked a lawsuit. While not exactly condoning Fairy's
actions, the story tried to justify the point that artists were free
to violate the copyright laws if it was done in the name of art.
Examples used included Andy Warhol's Campbell Soup can and Marcel
Duchamp's Mona Lisa with a moustache. Apart from the inconvenient
fact that the Mona Lisa was never copyrighted, does the LUG consider
this "Fair Use." Could I take one of Gee Bee's pictures of the Lake
Country, stick a sunflower on it, and call it 'Kansas as it should be."

How much alteration of an image does the LUG think is necessary
before a work can be considered original and not derivative? Is it
the actual image that is important or the artist's or photographer's
intent? As a point of reference, my wife, who is a well respected
artist, refuses to paint from a photograph which she, herself, has
not taken. She won't even paint from any of mine. (I hope this is a
tribute to her sterling character and not a critique of my photographs.)

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from h_arche at yahoo.com (H. Ball Arche) ([Leica] Re: Fair use)
Reply from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] Re: Fair use -- Of Gee Bee's Photos?)
Reply from s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov) ([Leica] Re: Fair use)