Subject: [Leica] Developng: Plastic Reels or Metal?
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Feb 18 21:43:15 2009

At 11:37 PM 2/18/2009, Nuno Miguel dos Santos Baeta wrote:
 >Hello!
 >
 >You've convinced me to buy Hewes reels (two 135 and one 120).  The
 >tank will beone where I can fit the reels, preference given to a
 >stainless steel one.

I am certainly not criticizing Patterson or JOBO
gear.  These are both wonderful systems with many virtues.

Some of you have developed a resistance to metal
reels.  Back in the Longago, I did, as well.  The
film never fed properly.  Und so weiter.  I went
to my local camera store, and they were blank on
the problems.  Many was the night I sat before my
TV winding spools of exposed film into metal
reels.  And, then, one day, some bright guy on
the LUG suggested that I get Hewes reels.  I have
not recorded that soul's name, but praise beyond measure goes to his credit.

Hewes reels - sold in the US as King Concept -
are unbeatable.  They survive the Marc James
Small Bounce Test without a problem.  The
Oriental reels do not.  Once I got Hewes reels,
all was made simple, and I have stuck with Hewes
reels and Kindermann tanks thereafter.  Kindermann ree;s are also noteworthy.

I went back to the camera store and asked them
about Hewes reels.  They stocked them.  When I
asked the clerk -- a good friend, even today --
why he had sold me junk, he simply said, we work
from the bottom up.  And that is why so many
camera stores are now out of business, including
this one.  Argh!  My life would have been a LOT
simpler had they simply advised me to pay the
extra freight for the Hewes reels.

QED, and I was a dummy!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu