Subject: [Leica] my first Leica
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Feb 17 12:59:34 2009

My first Leica was a IIIc, which I still own and
use:  they will pry this one out of my cold, dead
hands.  My second was a very early M3 DS which I
later sold, but have since replaced with a late
M3 DS which, again, I use regularly.  My third
keeper was an M6 Wetzlar, my main
miniature-format camera.  I also own a IIIf RDST
and a IIIg, though I do not use these as much.

Along the way, I have owned three or four other
IIIf's, a couple of IIIg's, and a IIIcK, all of
which I sold to finance other Leica
purchases.  And I have owned three M4's, the
least reliable and most problem-prone of all of
my Leica bodies.  Oh!  And a Leicaflex SL, a
really nice camera I only parted with when I was
offered four times what I had in the set.

When I am stirred to shoot pictures, I normally
opt for medium format, either a Rolleiflex TLR (I
on six of them,and a couple of Ikoflices, as
well) or Hasselblad (I have three).  If I am just
banging a miniature-format shutter to pass some
time, I will generally opt for the IIIc or a
Contax II or a Werra 3.  For serious work, I
generally use the M6 or M3, though I did shoot a wedding once with a IIIc.

I carry a Rollei 35S in the glovebox of my
car.  And I have a slew of Prakticas and Icarices
and a Rollei SL35E to keep me flexible.  Not to
mention Contarex -- I have two bodies and a small set of lenses.

And, with all that gear and no dark room set up,
I may shoot two rolls a year ...

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!