Subject: [Leica] my first Leica
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Sat Feb 14 15:20:38 2009

Brian,

I have to agree that the Barnacks were, and are still, fine cameras. The
only hangup I have about them has to do with the finders, and that can be
overcome with external finders.  I bought my IIIa in the summer of 1952,
and, while it could sure use a CLA, I checked the shutter speeds by sound a
few days ago, and they still sound ok.  I have never had it in a shop for
maintenance.

I acquired a IIIf RD later, and it is my Leica of choice these days.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA