Subject: [Leica] Fuji camera for the hiker
From: TTAbrahams at shaw.ca (TnT Abrahamsson)
Date: Mon Feb 9 14:29:42 2009

 [Leica] Fuji camera for the hiker
http://www.bjp-online.com/public/showPage.html?page=837754 This looks like
the folder I wanted to carry in Nepal. Perhaps useful in Peru. Zeiss options
are becoming a bit old to be reliable.CheersAlastair------------- Alastair,I
did handle the Bessa III at Photokina. It is a nice "folder" -
shades of the old Zeiss and Bessa's from the 50's. It has a finder/
rangefinder similar to that of the Bessa R3, which means it is about
as good as it gets, particularly in a folding camera. The camera has
Aperture Priority and also manual over ride for exposure. Focus is
manual, on the lens mount with a clear rangefinder patch on the body's
finder. You can switch format, not in midroll, but when you change
film. There is a small round disc, visible when you open the back and
it can be set to either 6x6 or 6x7. When you switch, the framelines in
the finder corrects for the new format. It can also handle 220 film
with a conventional sliding pressure plate and automatic reset of the
counter for this type of film.
  It is a largish camera and with the curved front "plate" it would
require a substantial pocket to carry it that way - but it did not
feel "bulky". The folding mechanism is quite complex as you have to
carry the information on not only exposure system, but also on the
focussing. It felt very solid though. One of the features of the
camera tat impressed me was the virtually inaudible shutter. It is
quieter than a Rollei Twinlens. Just a faint whisper from
electronically controlled shutter. It was so quiet that initially I
thought is was a non working "dummy" - until I looked through the
camera and realized that the shutter was opening and closing as I was
triggering it! The release ( on the body) was very smooth and soft. I
felt that with some training one could handhold it at 1/4 sec.
  I was told that "official" introduction would be March this year and
that the Fuji 667 would be for the Japanese market and the Bessa III
for export. No price was given at the time, but my guess would be in
the $1800-2000 bracket with the current strength of the yen. Overall
impression was that this is an impressive piece of equipment and the
design is well thought out. I had no opportunity to try it out with
film, but with a 6 element lens and Cosina/Fuji's knowledge in optical
design, it should be more than satisfactory.

Bests to everybody,Tom A-----------------------------Tom
AbrahamssonVancouver, BCCanadawww.rapidwinder.com

Replies: Reply from gregj_lorenzo at hotmail.com (Greg Lorenzo) ([Leica] Fuji camera for the hiker)