Subject: [Leica] Re: UK snowstorm
From: pdzwig at summaventures.com (Peter Dzwig)
Date: Tue Feb 3 08:43:48 2009

Yeah, I know that Brits are wimps when it comes to snow. Let's just put this
in
context: when Frank talks of "rare" events he means rare. I was brought up in
London. The only major dump that I saw was the winter of 1962/3 when we had a
number of weeks with twelve inches or so of snow lying - and it snowed
frequently during. The sea froze and stayed that way for several weeks. It
also
covered most of the UK which is unusual.

There may have been one or two comparable falls in the intervening 45 years
in
southern England, but nothing compares. This is a lot of snow (for us) in one
night - and then the following day.

So what is the RoI on investing in US-style snow-clearing machinery for the
UK?
Nil. That's why investment levels are adequate for ther odd frosty night, but
little else. That doesn't mean that we don't get cold weather (over the last
few
years we have had regular periods in the winter with night temperatures in
the
-5 to -10C region where I live now) sometimes. HOwever this is a temperate
country on the edge of the Gulf STream and we don't get your weather - of any
extreme. Yet.

Peter

--

Dr Peter Dzwig