Subject: [Leica] IMG: Modern Services, Old Presentation
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Feb 1 13:56:20 2009

Jim that is a very popular aspiration of course.  I don't know what controls
are available in your Elements program but one common approach for bw
conversion is to vary the percentages of each colour channel, red, green
blue, that are used to make your grey version. There are a lot of other
options in Raw and Photoshop, as well as third party plug-ins as you no
doubt have guessed.
Regarding the haze, I think you need to tackle that on the camera. While you
can simulate some filter effects afterwards that is not the same as using
the filters on the camera.
I had a quick look with Google  on the subject. Try a search for elements
black and white conversion. It looks like there are tutorials and
discussions out there that may give you some ideas. This digital stuff is
addictive. There is a lot to learn, just like a wet darkroom but at the same
time an enormous range of possibilities.