Subject: [Leica] Erwin reviews new Summilux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Jan 31 21:51:08 2009

My workhorse is my version of your Canon lens the Nikon 12-24 f4 also of
course for the cropped format.
If I got a D3X I'd be able to use it with more than a few megapixels be
everyone knows that once you land a full frame camera you're not using
cropped glass any more in cropped mode.
You're a big boy now.
Nikon anticipated peoples not wanting to stop using their 12-24 by coming
out with a 14-24 full frame 2.8 G lens.
An amazing optic Canon may take a few more months to mirror.
Thing is its not a ff version of the 12-24 DX cropped lens.
It feels like it would be.
Its twice the size and speed.
And its not.
- its an ultra super wide.
The 12-24 is merely ultra wide; Translating to 18-35.
A 14-24 is not an 18-35. Its a full notch or two wider.
Zooming into 24 is not the same as zooming into 35.
Still you know with this lens on your camera you'd be able to outshoot the
heck out of anything. Any Canon. For a few months. With another lens in your
bag for reach. Something a little longer.
The tri Elmar Wide at 16-18-21 fits right in between!
And neatly in a Leica M kind of way does the job if you were one of the five
people left on the planet shooting film.
With digital its a 21 24 28
Which is the middle of a 18-35
contracted by a focal lengh in both directions.

Mark William Rabiner