Subject: [Leica] Erwin reviews new Summilux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Jan 30 13:12:32 2009

Somebody should weigh in on the meaning and use of an ultra fast ultra wide.
I cant.
I have a 28 1.4 Nikon but I've only used it on crop circle bodies;
So its really in effect a huge heavy normal;
Which is a bit hard to focus manually on a D40X but works ok on a D200.

The question is why you'd want ultra wide field but ultra thin front to
back?

And why in this digital era do we need ultra fast glass at all if not just
to isolate the subject.

I submit its darn hard to isolate a subject with a 21 millimeter lens.

Even if in the end digitally its 21 * 1.33 = 27.93...a 28mm lens

Mark William Rabiner