Subject: [Leica] Focomat Ia
From: jcsanford at pshift.com (Jeb Sanford)
Date: Tue Jan 27 08:35:14 2009

Leina,

I agree that it should be a 75 watt bulb. Years ago, could buy bulbs
specifically designed for enlargers, ie, good quality uniform coating inside
the bulb and no wattage marking on the exterior. I discovered those after
finding that ordinary light bulbs were both "hot" in the center (from the
filament and insufficient coating) and also produced an undesirable shadow
from the wattage marking. Ammonia will remove the exterior marking easily,
eliminating the latter issue. Enlarger bulbs are probably not available
anymore. I would be interested to know what a compact fluorescent bulb would
produce, perhaps providing a cold-light head that would have been
unthinkable in the original.

Jeb