Subject: [Leica] Coaling pier
From: leica at web-options.com (Bob W)
Date: Mon Jan 26 00:12:51 2009

> >> This is the coaling pier at Greenwich Power Station.
> Colliers used to dock
> >> alongside and offload coal to fire the electricity generators.
> >>
> >> http://www.web-options.com/Top12/content/L1030230_large.html
> >>
> >> The power station is a back-up for the London Underground.
> It's still
> >> operational, but is now gas-fired. The pillars of the pier
> are Doric in
> >> style.
> >>
> >> The beach beneath the pier was the setting for a murder
> mystery written byst two, and
> >> local resident and former Poet Laureate C. Day-Lewis,
> writing as Nichola
> >> Blake.
>
> Bob this is a nice shot; but sunsets/sunrises, are easy.

Thanks. Can't argue with that analysis.

> You need to
> offer thanks to God for giving us  yet another lovely sunset.  The
> hardest pictures to make your own are fire, sunsets and fireworks.
>
> Given all the stuff you wrote about it, I'd love to see more
> exploration of the place.

There's another shot here, from a different angle, among a bunch of other
photos from Greenwich:
http://www.web-options.com/Greenwich/content/_7036150_large.html

> I'd even like to shoot there, but seeing I
> will not be back to the UK for awhile, I'll have to depend on you to
> get me some better shots.

Not really my kind of subject, to be honest, but if there's an easy shot I'm
not above grabbing it.

Bob

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Coaling pier)
Message from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] Coaling pier)