Subject: [Leica] Bokeh
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Fri Jan 23 21:37:46 2009

On Jan 23, 2009, at 11:10 PM, Geoff Hopkinson wrote:

> Some photos from two of my favourite Leica M lenses, The Summilux-M
> 50mm f/1.4 ASPH. & the APO-Summicron-M  75mm f/2 ASPH.
> Note retention of shapes even in out of focus areas. See reproduction
> of highlights and rich tones in shadows. I typically shoot these
> lenses from wide open to around f/4, like true believers should ;-). The
> OoF
> highlights of both are quite characteristic.
> The larger web sizes provide a better view.
> 50 wide open (film)
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/90728291
>
> 50 f/5.6-ish (film)
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/91239055
>
> 50 wide open (M8)
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/usa/f/SM9.jpg.html
>
> 50 f/4-5.6-ish (M8)
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/usa/d/SF11.jpg.html
>

> 75 at f/3.8 & f/4 (M8) <http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/106035165>
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/101824436
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/f/IB1.jpg.html
>
> 75 f/2 (M8)
> http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/101824440
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/a/f/Borg.jpg.html

These are good examples of what can be expected from a well-corrected lens.
It's typically not the buttery smooth bokeh of a lens with under-corrected
spherical aberration, neither is it the harshness of an over-corrected lens.
 The 50 wide open (on film) photo with OOF highlights illustrates the
'neutral' bokeh:

http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/90728291

The distribution of light intensity is very uniform over the entire OOF
point.  A 'smooth' bokeh lens will show higher intensity in the center of
the disk and less toward the edges, a 'harsh' bokeh lens will show greater
light intensity toward the edges and less in the center.

In my experience the 180mm APO-Elmarit-R and 280mm f/4 APO-Telyt-R also show
this neutral disk with even illumination.  Sometimes I prefer the smoother
look of the f/6.8 Telyts, especially when they turn water into liquid magic
but the neutral bokeh of the APO lenses is VERY acceptable to me too.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com