Subject: [Leica] Advice on filters
From: nmsbaeta at gmail.com (Nuno Miguel dos Santos Baeta)
Date: Thu Jan 22 20:17:58 2009

Hello!

I never used filters because I never felt the need and always avoided
putting another piece of glass in front of a lens.  But now I have two
reasons to get some filters, so I think...

* Next summer I'll be going on vacation to the North of Africa.  It
will be a one week walk and dust will be a certainty.

* Whenever my wife takes a camera, the lens will end up with
fingerprints :-(  Not always, but too many times.

I believe these are good reasons to buy some filters, especially when
the lens costs (much) more than the camera.

So what I want are protective filters.  But after some "net research"
I really don't know what to buy...  All that I know is that a good
filter will be, most probably, expensive (but certainly less expensive
than a lens :-)  Where I live, in Portugal, I have easy access to
Hoya, Rodenstock and Sigma filters, but I can use online shops to
purchase other brands.

Feel free to comment on my reasons to buy the filters (and let me know
if there is a barbed wire adapter as this will solve my second reason
:-)  Finally, please give me some advice on what to look for on a
filter, which brand(s) to avoid and which brand(s) make good filters.

TIA

--
Nuno Miguel dos Santos Baeta
ille nihil dubitat quem nulla scientia dictat

Replies: Reply from leica at web-options.com (Bob W) ([Leica] Advice on filters)
Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Chris Williams) ([Leica] Re:Advice on filters)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Advice on filters)
Reply from len-001 at verizon.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Advice on filters)