Subject: [Leica] Amtrak harassing photographers
From: gregj_lorenzo at hotmail.com (Greg Lorenzo)
Date: Wed Jan 21 20:12:08 2009

glehrer@san.rr.com writes in part:> Do I sympathize with your organization?
Why should AMTRAK listen?
Perhaps this excerpt from the referenced article explains it best:

""I am concerned that Amtrak has ignored the First Amendment implications of
their actions prohibiting photography," NPPA president Bob Carey said today.
"They are a publicly-funded corporation and this prohibition is very simply
unconstitutional. And NPPA will continue to fight for First Amendment
protection for photojournalists."
Amtrak was created in 1971 when the Rail Passenger Service Act was signed by
President Richard M. Nixon. There are eight presidential appointees on
Amtrak's board of directors who must be confirmed by Congress.
"The federal government currently appropriates $2.5 billion a year to run
Amtrak. So I believe Amtrak certainly has more requirements at the First
Amendment level since it is a quasi-public entity," Carey said."

Greg Lorenzo
Calgary, Canada
Windows Live?: E-mail. Chat. Share. Get more ways to connect.
http://windowslive.com/howitworks?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_t2_allup_howitworks_012009

Message from glehrer at san.rr.com (Jerry Lehrer) ([Leica] Amtrak harassing photographers)