Subject: [Leica] re: bokeh
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (wildlightphoto@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jan 20 05:46:27 2009

Douglas Nygren wrote:

>Someone asked what I consider good or bad bokeh.
>
>Don't know.
>
>Am interested in learning what others think.

To me, "good" bokeh doesn't distract my attention from the subject of a
photograph.  "Bad" bokeh (in my view) has more high-contrast points than
"good" bokeh.  A lens that can produce "bad" bokeh, i.e., double-line or
bright ring highlights will not always demonstrate its "bad bokeh"
tendencies if the OOF areas are sufficiently diffuse or lacking in tonal
range.

I prefer to avoid "bad bokeh" lenses because they reduce my options in that
I avoid problematic backgrounds.  Using a "good bokeh" lens I face fewer
background restrictions.

this photo would have shown a much more distracting background if I had used
a "bad bokeh" lens:
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/dowo00.html

in this photo the background is so diffuse and lacking in tonal range that
it might not have mattered what lens I used:
http://wildlightphoto.com/mammals/rodents/ybma03.html

the 280mm f/4 APO is more of a "neutral bokeh" lens, this background is a
bit more edgy than the f/6.8 Telyts would have produced:
http://wildlightphoto.com/mammals/lagomorphs/deco03.html

with a more diffuse background the 280/4 APO's bokeh is fabulous:
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/accipitridae/feha02.html

for bokeh I despise a mirror lens is just the thing:
http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/picidae/acwo01.html

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com