Subject: [Leica] DxO, the M8 and dynamic range
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Tue Jan 20 03:56:03 2009

Don, thanks for your input there. I don't recall that discussion on the
sensor in detail. I have found the test site referred to by Dante which is
very interesting. I did locate the LFI discussion regarding the non-linear
way the sensor information is compressed into its 8 bit form before later
reconstruction. I won't pursue this longer on the list.
Of course in all of this I was explaining a method that I prefer rather than
expecting to convert anyone else. The majority of folks look to be
comfortable with the negative exposure adjustment method.
The whole area is a complex one and we each place different weight on
different attributes, I think. Noise in shadows being exacerbated by
under-exposure is a big issue for me. Sometimes too simple assumptions
regarding terminology differ too. For example 'over-exposure'
Methods as well. I use Auto exposure but try to meter carefully and then
lock that reading and recompose (where practical and warranted).