Subject: [Leica] OT: Audiophile Question
From: tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray)
Date: Mon Jan 19 07:15:58 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Jeff Moore <jbm@jbm.org> wrote:
>> and some good Canare wire and you should be fine.
>> Get a local to solder them up for you.  Canare L-4E6S Star Quad is a
>> good cable.  Should be about $.50/foot and the Neutrik connectors
>> should be $2-4.  You can order the stuff from Markertek.
>
> Are you really going to bring the Mogami-versus-Canare argument here to
> the LUG?  Or am I the one doing it?
>
> I associate Canare with remote-gig toughness and Mogami with better
> sound, but I'm sure that's a gross oversimplification.

Mogami makes excellent cable too.  Go with them or Canare - I'm just
more familiar with the parts numbers for the Canare cable.  Oh, and
did I mention I did location/live sound for awhile :D  You're probably
right - Mogami has a very good name and might sound better.  Though I
doubt I'd be able to hear the difference between the two...

In my mind though, as long as the cables are put together correctly,
you have a big heavy gauge of speaker wire, you have nice speakers,
probably the weakest point in the system is the power supply on the
amp...  And I don't mean some fancy power cable.  I mean a big honking
transformer and some big honking caps in the amp.

Actually, I really like Wireworks Musilux cable.  I just checked their
website and its seems they've changed their naming and it might be the
CX cable now - it has a conductive plastic jacket instead of a braid.
Super supple and very little shape memory.

The point is, your music was most likely recorded using Canare and/or
Mogami cabling.  And Neutrik connectors (who make an awesome RCA
connector too).  These are industry standards.  They are perfectly
suitable for playback (if not identical) and will save you a bundle.
For much less money, you will have *nicer*, more professional cables
than Monster cables.  Certainly less than any super fancy brand.  I
think I wired up five speakers with speaker cable as thick as my
finger with nice heavy duty gold plated banana plugs for about $50?
Beat that price with even crap wiring...  I will say that I'm very
comfortable with soldering though...

Oh, and by the way, I think this place has real nice banana connectors
if you are looking for them: http://www.speakerrepair.com/

Replies: Reply from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] OT: Audiophile Question)
Message from tgray at 125px.com (Tim Gray) ([Leica] OT: Audiophile Question)
Message from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] OT: Audiophile Question)