Subject: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure
From: hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun Jan 18 14:04:01 2009

I am a disciple of Real World Camera Raw as well and just updated to the CS4
version too. Continuing that thought by Bob and Lee. Depending on the shot
content of course, but I often find when developing the image in my Raw
convertor, I am increasing the exposure by a third to a half EV to populate
the right side of the histogram. Really you are setting the white clipping
point there. This is where a full tonal range is appropriate. After that I
can look at curves and colour etc. Note also that setting the output colour
space to ProPhoto RGB (and 16 bit of course) gives you the widest possible
range too. Remember that in Raw you are editing the LINEAR data there. Very
different to a destructive edit to a jpg capture, for example. I'm not
suggesting that people who find the routine under-exposure technique
practical and effective are wrong. Only suggesting a technique that can be
tried for some photographs for maximum tonal quality.

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/e
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/gh/
Pick up your camera and make the best photo you can.