Subject: [Leica] Question about M8 exposure
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Thu Jan 15 19:52:31 2009

And that IS the point of having the DMR set at -.5 and M8 set at - 1/3.

It means (to me and a few others) that
i can pull the camera out of the bag, shoot immediately,
trusting the meter within the camera
and never worry about blown highlights in important image areas.

These settings do not then prevent,
as opportunity allows,
fine tuning the metering to the scene;
or using tools, like a histogram, within the camera,
to perfect exposure for maximum information,
and desired distribution of tonality.

In point of fact, I shoot 90% on Manual.
If I'm shooting a frame which is 80% snow,
obviously I'll know which way to compensate to place the snow in the
highlight areas.
Conversely, if I'm shooting a frame full of dark values, compensation
is required in the opposite direction.

But for general, average scenes with a dynamic range of 6 -9 stops
between
shadows and highlights - both of which I'd like to preserve a little
detail within -
then the minor third or half stop adjustment works quite well - for me.

Each time this discussion comes up - I reset the M8 to no
compensation - shoot and meter as I normally do
and invariably begin to find frames where the highlights are blown
out (which I hate in digital).
So I end up resetting to - 1/3 and highlight blowout in quick grab
shots ceases.

Fond regards,
George

george@imagist.com