Subject: [Leica] Re:HDR, Leica DMR and Nikon D3
From: rhart at crain.com (Roger Hart)
Date: Wed Jan 14 13:16:38 2009

For what its' worth, I've heard the difference between Nikon and Canon is
that Nikon is an optics company...a manufacturer of precision glass that
makes cameras. (Pretty good cameras, in my book.) Canon is an electronics
company that makes lenses to go along with its electronic cameras. Never
been much of a Canon user save for an Ftb I got as a high school graduation
gift, so I don't have that experience to compare with. But I have shot with
Leica and Nikon cameras for more than 25 years, and there were times I could
swear I could tell the difference between film shot with the different
cameras. Black and white negs shot with the Leica and the range of Summicron
lenses I use had a different look than those shot with my Nikon cameras and
Nikkor glass. That was looking at the negs with a high-powered loupe on a
lightbox. Finished prints less than 11x14-inches, I don't think I could
tell. And when shooting color negs, the color saturation at times seemed
better with the Leicas...but it was not a scientific test.

But with the M8 and now the D3 and D300 and some of the new Nikkor glass,
for my purposes the quality of the images are more than acceptable for a
glossy magazine cover. I don't need resolution any greater than that. Having
said that, the grin factor in using the M8 is greater than with my Nikons.

Roger Hart
rhart@crain.com