Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 38, Issue 270
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Fri Jan 9 07:50:43 2009

When I travel, I carry a small Mac Powerbook, the same as Nathan. My
12" G4 Powerbook serves both as a repository of images and a
preliminary editing tool. However the 12" Powerbook is no longer on
the market. Its replacements, the MacBooks, new and old, are larger,
having 13" screens, and more costly. Further the new MacBooks no
longer have the Firewire port that enables other Mac computers to
directly access the drives of the portables. Admittedly, the newer
Mac laptops use Intel microprocessors, but most photographic software
is available for the G4s. Photographers who wish to follow Nathan's
good example should pick up a used 12" Aluminum Powerbook on eBay.
They cost just about the price of a much less capable internet
computer and will run all of the good image manipulation software,
including Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, and GraphicConverter, as
well as hosting iPhoto, iMovie, and iDVD. To coin a phrase "They
don't make them like they used to."

Larry Z