Subject: [Leica] Travel hard drive?
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Thu Jan 8 10:06:04 2009

Hi Craig,

I see you got a lot of replies already, but I will still throw in my
?0.02.

I travel a fair amount, and usually I take my Powerbook G4 with me. On
the 2-week trip to Poland and Germany I just finished, I used a big
Domke bag as my only carry-on item. It held the laptop, the M8 and 2
lenses, my organizer, passport, chargers, spare batteries, reading
stuff for the plane and various other odds and ends. In my checked
suitcase I put an empty Domke 803 satchel. Once I arrived at my
sister's, I transferred the M8 and lenses to the 803 and left the
computer at her apartment. Same thing when we went to Berlin
(substitute hotel for apartment). The advantage of this setup is that
the Powerbook has enough horsepower to process images in Lightroom so
that when I came home Tuesday afternoon, I had already processed the
1000 images from the trip during the evenings.

But if you really do not want to carry a laptop, then you should
consider the new 9" tiny notebooks from the likes of Acer and Asus.
They are small enough to fit in an 803 satchel, come in Windows or
Linux versions, and despite their small size are fully-featured
computers. They cost no more than the better stand-alone devices from
Vosonic etc. but do so much more.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman