Subject: [Leica] IMG:Wayback-1968 Darkroom (to go with message from last Sept.) + NYC 40 years ago.
From: amr3 at uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Fri Jan 2 21:14:41 2009

In September, I posted the text below, and now I found the pictures to go
with it:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/PostLab1.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Gear/PostLab2.jpg.html>

The first darkroom I worked in was at the UWM Post student newspaper's
basement
(an old laundry room) in a house off-campus that was next to an alley.
There was a ventilating fan above the sink, covered in black paper to keep
the light out,
but it didn't do much to stop cold air in the winter.  On cold days a breeze
would sweep down
over the developing trays, and form a thin sheet of ice crystals on the
chemicals.  I used my
hands to develop prints, so after a while the warmth of my fingers would
melt the ice, but until then,
I'd have to crunch through with each sheet of paper.

The Beseler 4x5 enlarger was a a wreck, with a lower negative stage that
hung down
so that for each negative we would have to use a C-clamp to bring it back up
tight and parallel with
the lens plane.  This also meant dusting metal filings off the easel every
now and then.  And the PAKO
rotary print dryer was all rusty, could barely turn, and had a stained
canvas belt.

I think learning how to make decent prints under these conditions helped
later when I got to use good
facilities.

And seven images from New York City in the sixties start here:
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Alan+Magayne-Roshak/Travel/TimeSq1968B_R_AMR.jpg.html>

Alan

UPAA POY 1978
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee