Subject: [Leica] New Year's Eve Festivities
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Dec 31 22:20:48 2008

It probably will not surprise any of you to learn
that I am not exactly a social
animal.  Trevor-Roper once commented that, while
it would have been fascinating to have any of the
Nazi bonzen over for dinner to see evil at first
hand, Goebbels was the only one you'd consider
inviting back for a second meal.  I fear that I
am in the first category!  An honest curmudgeon
has no difficulty in avoiding boring social engagements.

In any event, my wife is even more the
isolationist -- our friends assure me that I have
embarrassed her in public so frequently that she
would rather curl up in front of the TV and watch
QVC than deal with my antics when loose in a
crowd.  (Example:  I had to mail a package for my
wife today.  As I left the counter, I turned and
loudly wished everyone in the Post Office a
hearty Happy New Year.  There was a stunned
silence, and then a flood of shouted responses,
most actually kind and printable, and no one
threw a shoe.  I am the joker who turns around as
the elevator doors close and states, "I suppose
you've all been wondering why I called you here
today." I can go on.  Have a telegram delivered
to the chairman of a large meeting:  MESSAGE TWO
FOLLOWS.  Ten minutes later, another:  DISREGARD MESSAGE ONE.  Und so
weiter.)

In any event, we will spend the evening at
home.  We did dine this afternoon famously, at
Applebee's, after picking up a space heater for
the use of one of my Sulcata Tortoises at
Wal-Mart.  (I was disappointed to find out that
the lack of an opposable thumb forces me to turn
the heater on and off for the guy, which made him
a bit grumpy, and you do NOT want to make a
Sulcata grumpy:  these folks get to more than a
hundred pounds (27,321 joules, for the metrically
challenged <he grins>) and have generally been
described best as, "rammers and butters".)  While
both Pam and I have dined at some of the better
bistros on either Coast and, in my case, even a
couple of decent beaneries in New Orleans, our
native tastes tend to run to very basic meals
such as steak, potatoes, and Lima Beans.  I do
fry chicken on occasion (use Paprika:  it is the
necessary ingredient) and love beef fondue but,
for the most part, pork ribs or steak or chicken
are the norm.  My wife dislikes fish, so I only
cook this when she is out of the house.  We both
do love lobster but abhor the mess.  And, in
almost every British novel, the folks in the
country house always pick up a Kippered Herring
with their breakfast and seem to have no problem
in eating it without making a mess of their
formal clothes but how they do this escapes me:
a  Kipper is perzackly a finger food which can
only be tasted, and not eaten, with knife and fork.

In 1985, I formed a law partnership.  I bought
two bottles of Frexinet Spanish methode
Champagnnoise (sp?) wine, one for our first
anniversary, the second for our second
anniversary.  Well, we did throw an office party
at the firm's first anniversary -- baked Brie and
a spinach salad and bits of other cheeses and
sausages and the like, and that accounted for one
bottle.  Before the second anniversary hit, my
partner and I decided to split, quite amicably --
"I refuse to join a club which would have me as a
member", or however Groucho put it.  So, I've
been hauling the second bottle around since
1985.  Tonight, my wife dictated, is the night to
clear a bit of space in the refrigerator, so that
bottle will not see the dawn in an unopened state.

(Me?  I was going to save it to be an exhibit at
the museum my estate will have to create in my
honor once it buys the house my parents were
renting when I was born, but my wife says we just
cannot wait:  she has some zucchini which needs
chilled down.  Ah, such is life!)

So, tonight will be a movie of some sort courtesy
of the DVD Player, then a watch of Dick Clark
telling us the ball is descending, some Frexinet,
and off to bed.  But, then, neither Pam nor I,
nor anyone in my family, can understand the
fixation with celebrating New Year's.  It's only
a calendar convention, and a rather meaningless one at that.

Happy New Year, folks!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!