Subject: [Leica] adjust rangefinder
From: len-001 at verizon.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Tue Dec 23 07:49:28 2008

Hello Bernardo,

Yes there are procedures for aligning the rangefinder yourself. If
your M8 just got back from Solms most likely the rangefinder was
aligned to be perfect. And the Noctilux is well known to back focus
on the M8. As George said you can adjust the cam position of the
rangefinder (located just inside the top of the camera mount) with a
2mm allen wrench. But this is a very delicate adjustment and will
affect the focus of all of your lenses, mostly any lens of 50mm and
longer. Since this cam is the infinity adjustment if not done just
right some of your lenses may not focus to infinity when your
Noctilux focuses perfectly.

Since you are going on holiday in a few days I would leave your M8
alone and bracket your Noctilux shots when you use it. Focus a few mm
in front of your desired focus point. I really suggest you not touch
your M8 rangefinder. I aligned my rangefinder but it took a few hours
to get it just right for the Noctilux but it did mess up the focus on
my 90mm AA at the longer distances. Try your other lenses now to see
how the M8 focuses.

I ended up getting my Noctilux adjusted and my M8 rangefinder
realigned back to factory specs. Now everything is perfect.

Best Regards,
Len