Subject: [Leica] Longest night
From: hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter)
Date: Sun Dec 21 09:28:25 2008

An interesting footnote is that the natural assumption that the
earliest sunset and the latest sunrise would also occur on the day of
(or the night before or the morning after) Winter Solstice isn't true,
not by a long shot. These occur symmetrically well before and after
the Solstice. I remember how surprised I was, years ago, when I
learned that, at 40 degrees north latitude, the earliest sunset comes
an entire two weeks before the Solstice and the latest sunrise a
similar length of time after the Solstice. And the earliest end of
evening twilight/onset of night is three days earlier still, likewise
the opposite in the morning. The offsets are down to the complex
interplay and the asymmetries of the geometry of the Earth's
elliptical orbit, the varying speed of the Earth in its orbit, the
inclination of the equator to the orbital plane, and the relationship
between the point in its orbit where the Earth is nearest the Sun
(perihelion, Jan 4--and it's pure coincidence that these two dates are
even close to each other) and the point where the plane of the Earth's
equator passes furthest north of the Sun (the Winter Solstice, Dec
21). Repeat the above, with appropriate substitutions, for the Summer
Solstice.

--howard