Subject: [Leica] From Zeiss, some info on reading MTF Curves,,,,,,
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Dec 20 03:16:01 2008

The lens for the ZF to beat:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f14-afs.htm
The Nikon 50mm f/1.4 AF-S!
Out this month..

Also known as the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 G lens.
He has a very cool 50mm f/1.4 History at the bottom of the page showing the
first Canon camera which had a lens made by a lens company called Nikon
which was when Nikon did not make bodies. Just lenses.
And mentions how the Nikon 1.4 when it was released was the fastest lens out
there supplanting the Zeiss 1.5 which was king before; of speed. In 1950

"This is Nikon's first completely new 50mm optical design in many decades.
Its performance should eclipse every other fast 50mm lens ever made,
especially the Zeiss-branded 50mm ZF. If you've got the Zeiss, I'd gamble
that now is the time to dump it on eBay before this Nikkor hits the market."

Rockwell can be head scratching to read as it would seem he does not
recognize the Summilux' s existence as its not AF (Obsolete is the word he
likes to use) and cost too much for him to comprehend.

I'd love to see Erwin do a comparison test between the two optics.
Or all three the Zeiss CF pr CF, Nikon and Leica Summilux
As the 50 1.4 lens is the flagship lens of any camera company.
Rockwell thinks the Nikon is the clear winner.
Is not all all fond of the ZF.
The Nikon has great ergonomics the ZF hard to twist. The Nikon AF overrides
just by lightly twisting the focusing ring.
That's darn convenient. Gives you in effect the best of both AF and MF
worlds.
It's internal focusing.
Which is interesting for a 50mm 1.4 prime lens.
Just the inside stuff moves. The lens does not "grow".
Like the glass for the Leica S.
Very impressive.

Its got 8 count em 8 elements.
Everybody else seems to be using 7 according to this writer.
To me more elements does not necessarily make a better optic but what the
And Nikon users will like that its AFS so its instant and quiet like the
Canon lenses and you can use them on the cheap Nikon bodies like the D40x I
have with me every minute of the day and sleep with under my pillow.
For Dreamscapes.

Though there is no Dreamscape Mode.
You have to wing it during your REM cycle.

mark@rabinergroup.com
Mark William Rabiner