Subject: [Leica] WTB: lens hood for my Summilux 50
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Dec 19 08:25:06 2008

Nathan,

If it's any consolation, I've had my Summilux for years. I probably use
it more than any other lens. I hardly ever use the hood any more. Since
I started using a step up ring for certain filters (over which the hood
won't fit) I stopped carrying the hood. Maybe it's heresy to say this,
but I've never noticed that using the hood made much difference.

There was a time when I was fanatical about using hoods. Then I watched
a Nat Geo special about a certain photographer (can't remember who it
was). He was using Leica M. This was back in the film days. He never
used a lens hood. His photographs were, of course, exceptional. It made
me think that perhaps using a hood isn't an absolute necessity
(particularly with modern MC lenses).

OTOH, Gordon Hutchings', in "The Book of Pyro" has a section about
building a device to test film contrast. In that he made some statements
leading me to think that perhaps flare has much more impact on contrast
than I ever imagined it would. So I'm back on the fence regarding lens
hoods.

DaveR