Subject: [Leica] IMG: part 2 of 3 now available
From: s.dimitrov at charter.net (Slobodan Dimitrov)
Date: Fri Dec 19 08:05:22 2008

It's pedestrian at best.
That's the problem when content is reduced to composition only. It's
definitely a teaching issue at the college level.
Most of these kids are taught with the AP style sheet as their main
text book. Doesn't leave much wiggle room for substantive personal
development. Though if you sat in on one of those classes, they are
constantly hammered about integrity in journalism. It's unfortunately
being done in an decontextualized sort of manner.
I've yet to see a Kobayashi Maru exercise on what to do in
problematic situations. It's troublesome, because in many cases, they
are being made to write deep captions, on site with computer/cellular
downloads, within minutes of events. When ones considers how poorly
educated they are, and in spite of a high technical proficiency,
their lack of a foundational knowledge of the events around them will
eventually create serious problems for researchers in this period.
sd