Subject: [Leica] RD-1 now Backup
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Dec 15 08:48:40 2008

At 11:32 AM 12/15/2008, you wrote:
>Not correct. There are still a few of us forgotten souls who dabble in
>100% non-digital workflows. The Focomat is rarely mentioned on the LUG.
>I understand why. You can't really share analog prints on-line. But
>analog prints, even those made 100 percent with Leica hardware, do
>exist.
>
>DaveR

I still have a complete darkroom and a Focomat, but what do you do
with those 100% non-digital prints?  If you want to enter them in a
gallery, a show, or a competition, or publish them in a book, you
have to eventually get them into digital form.  You would end up
sending the 100% non-digital print to be displayed, true, but it
would first have to be accepted and everybody wants digital files to review.

If you are only going to hang them on your wall or keep them in a
drawer, you can still be 100% non-digital, but any form of sharing or
showing these days requires a digital file.

I went to a juried show at the Light Factory in Charlotte featuring
about the works of 6 different photographers.  The curator told me
that he had selected the works based completely on viewing them on
the internet.  He was very disappointed when he saw how one of the
photographers had framed and displayed his work and said he would not
have included that photographer if he had seen the actual prints!

Tina

Tina Manley
www.tinamanley.com

Replies: Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] RD-1 now Backup)