Subject: [Leica] Archival 4x6 Prints?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Dec 12 21:07:56 2008

The current thought on inkjet printing is for archival you don't want dye's
you want pigment. I may be someone has come out with some dyes with archival
predispositions.
I think are images are archival in the digital form if when have enough hard
drives laying around with overlap.
In the print form for things to be archival you'd print them on 100% rag
archival paper with pigment. With a choice of many papers and printers.

In our previous darkroom life our prints have held up well with two fixes
and selenium toning but our negs are going to hold up better.

I don't think now things are digital they've changed much.

The problem or issue is that negs or scans are raw data not finished
products; so they don't really represent us.

We don't want an Ansel Adams negative for our collection.
Tis what he does with them which counts.

A photographer like Hass whose body of work is Kodachrome that's when
there's a blurred overlap in this logic. As people like that would often
just have a print made from their Kodachrome slide form an above average lap
and hang a show.
Its the slides which count.
Their data seems less "raw" than negs.

mark@rabinergroup.com