Subject: [Leica] Re: Fugitive DVDs
From: richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Thu Dec 11 18:18:12 2008

The problem with external HD option is that most drives prefer to be
spinned up once in a while. Otherwise, lets say it's unused for 10
years, sitting in a closet, when you spin it up, the lubricant may
have dried by you will have dead paperweights.

Having said that, I use a network external drive system, and now also
looking at online storage. Both options are getting relatively inexpensive...

At 06:06 PM 12/11/2008, Ken Carney wrote:
>Larry,
>
>I don't like DVD's.  I have some of the archival "gold" CD's, and one failed
>the other day.  DVD's are a level lower.  I think the way to go is redundant
>external HD's.  You can buy a 500gb HD for very little.  My working files on
>the PC fast HD are backed up to external HD#1, which is copied to #2, which
>is copied to #3, which is copied to #4.  #'s 2-4 are not connected to power
>or the PC except when needed, but are in a closet.  It is a crude system,
>but one of those suckers will survive.  I see you can also buy 1TB raid HD's
>for very little.  Of course, I am just an amateur so 500gb is more than
>enough for my raw files and portfolio.  My system would not survive an EMP
>attack or a big fire, but then I would have bigger fish to fry, so to speak.
>
>Ken

// richard
// photo & calligraphy blog: http://richardfman.wordpress.com

Message from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Re: Fugitive DVDs)