Subject: [Leica] Bad news at Leica - FF or crop survey
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Sun Dec 7 08:00:25 2008

Hi Mark, Folks,

On Dec 7, 2008, at 1:35 AM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

> (snip) Of the vast majority of us who are getting most of our shots
> with DSLR's how
> many of use are FF's and how many of us are croppers?

Hi, my name is Will and I'm a recovering cropper.

Started in DSLRs with the Canon 10D, 20D, went to Olympus for better
glass, and have moved to NIkon due to the D700, the best digital
camera I've used by far. This also very conveniently lets me use my
old AI-s primes, since it meters normally and has manual focus
confirmation. These primes are far superior and faster in most cases
to even good modern zooms, and IMO better than most of Canon's primes.
Being able to use my 105 f2.5 is great, and it is good to be able to
grab a camera and 50mm f1.4 for a great deal of my work once again.

I never intend to return to cropped sensor DSLR. Or M.

> I unfortunately and not for long am shooting at 1.5 crop  as I have
> been for
> years first with a Nikon D100 when it first hit now D200 and D40x -
> But not for long.
> I got my eye on January 17th for my upgrade date.
> I like the idea of a 50mm being my "normal" focal length again.

It is a liberating experience for those of use who grew up shooting
fast - or not so fast - 50s as our bread and butter lenses. With
marmalade (my best attempt at a Rabinerism...)

Will von Dauster