Subject: [Leica] VERY OT: Michael Collins
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Dec 4 14:57:30 2008
References: <54146609.3450671227895311097.JavaMail.root@mail02.pantherlink.uwm.edu> <6BA71541-4FA5-4B92-83F0-4843928367B0@woh.rr.com> <05FEF33CD8884E79B4C00000C9951C36@Family> <49347ABE.1080400@runbox.com> <a3f189160812011633i36b2111dx31745800890c90ef@mail.gmail.com> <20081202032955.285AB45900@barracuda.rutabaga.org> <a3f189160812020726o54cb0864s9ea7ecb9364d83f6@mail.gmail.com> <20081202164733.2EF3D47673@barracuda.rutabaga.org> <a3f189160812021411q798d87cdnb06b6cdc465aa8f9@mail.gmail.com> <20081202222803.8AED248C46@barracuda.rutabaga.org> <a3f189160812021511q24dc3ab1j1bc916ababe97fb0@mail.gmail.com> <20081202232434.CD12548EE9@barracuda.rutabaga.org>

I'm not desperately invested in having the last
word, so I doubt if I will chime in beyond the
following while, of course, reserving the right
of fair response.  But we seem to have beaten this issue pretty much to
death.

First, whether this a discussion list or not,
citing sources is a necessity.  Saying, "I read
something once upon a time" just causes the
proposed statement to fall to a zero in
credibility:  "once upon a time, a guy in a bar
told me that his grandmother dynamited the Hoover
Dam".  You might want to revisit the archives and
check out the early days of the LUG, back when it
was still an equipment and process forum, and
citations were a requisite.  I get heartily
troubled when folks start talking about, "I know
that this is the case because I read it
somewhere, once upon a time".  It is hard to
track down these sorts of references.

Second, no, I had no idea that you were an
archivist by profession.  I have maintained, for
forty years, that the finest occupation in the
world is to be a controller of information, and
archivists and librarians fill that bill to the
tee.  We ought to be putting our best and
brightest into this field, and you are proof that
some, at least, of these best and brightest have
ended up in the field of information
organization.  Now, a tut-tut.  As an archivist,
you ought to know that a vague reference to, "I
once read" is so much persiflage.  Tut-tut, and the matter is closed.

Third, Wikipedia gets a lot of negative press
from folks for reasons which escape me.  Some of
the topics are hot-button ones which are
politically charged -- the entry on "The Revolt
of the Admirals" (a 1948/1949 incident involving
a dispute between the Air Force and Navy over the
USS UNITED STATES project, a project ultimately
killed by the first Secretary of Defense, Louis
Johnson, who grew up six blocks from where I used
to live in Roanoke, Virginia) is fatally pro-Navy
and anti-Air Force, and my efforts to interject a
neutral note on this (I can send anyione
interested the text) caused me to be threatened
with being barred from Wikipedia forever.  It
turns out that one of the VERY senior editors is
a drooling fanatic for the US Navy.  Someday, I
will figure out what Wikipedia means by "talk"
and I'll pursue the point, but it really isn't
worth much of a fight:  those interested will
read the references, which bear out my
point.  But, in general, Wikipedia is a great
source for a lot of information.  No, it cannot
be relied on as dispositive, but, then, if you
feel an article is improper, then edit it and
correct the omission.  In general, Wikipedia is a
great source, almost as great a source as is my
tenth edition ENCYCLOPAEDIA BRITANNICA, and one hell of a lot easier to use.

Fourth, yes, Tim Pat Coogan has been constantly
attacked by Irish academics.  Several
points.  First, academics, that most oddball of
classes, hate journalists who right
history:  look to the reaction in those Groves of
Academe to Manchester's AMERICAN CAESAR, his
biography of Douglas MacArthur.  They hated it
until Clayton James, who was writing the longer,
three-volume, work, praised Manchester, and even
then the Marine Corps Historical Office, in the
person of Ben Frank, continued to deride
Manchester's work, although Manchester had fought
in WWII as a Marine Corps officer.  There is no
one as irritated as an academic
challenged!  Coogan is a journalist who started
writing history.  He had first access to a number
of archives and was also able to speak to a
number of the principals in the 1950's and 1960's
and 1970's.  Again, the Irish government is
evenly divided between the pro-Collins and
anti-Collins folks, and that effects the mix of
the criticism.  In short, READ Coogan and his
critics, as I have, and then let's discuss his
scholarship, but, pray, let us do this in private e-mail.

Fifth, Collins was a remarkable fellow despite
your demeaning words towards him.  If for nothing
else, Collins deserves great praise for having
conducted a guerilla war which NEVER killed
bystanders.  His hits were always surgical and
were always magnificently directed at the agents
of the British crown. (I can argue with this, as
I have a feeling that Ireland would have done
best under the Redmond plan, but, events overran
my thoughts, thanks in large part to British
stupidity.)  Collins deserves his prise.  Those
who want to attack him are, in the end, Dev's
phantom adherents.  He was a marvelous person,
far beyond those of us of normal ken, and he
deserves credit for his virtues, and, also, deserves blame for hi many
faults.

Sixth, Sonny, I have been interviewing EVERYONE
with whom I fall into conversation since 1960.  A
bunch of these I have reduced to writing,
especially those of the White Army vets I spoke
with in 1966, and the like.  But, as you approach
the Written Word, I have neglected to write down
a lot of details which I ought to have
recorded.  Life is not perfect, and I have done
the best I have tried to do.  Shoot me if I've not been perfect!

EVERY person you meet on a street car has a
story.  "There are a million stories in the naked
city, and this is mine."  Damn! I have known a
fellow who remembered the Yankee troops coming
back to his Minnesota home in 1865.  I have met
veterans of the Boer War and of the
Spanish-American War.  ASK folks there stories,
and record them.  It sounds stupid but this is raw history at its best.

Sonny, we have no fight.  If you wish to be a Dev
adherent, so be it.  One last tale:

I met a fellow six or seven years back who came
from Boston.  His family were totally Irish.  He
had to go over to his grandfather's house every
Friday to set up a card game.  One night in 1973,
he came in with the requisite half-gallon bottle
of Jameson's and was told by his grandfather,
"toss the cap away, lad, we shan't need it this
night:  the Old Bastard is dead!".  Such was the
high esteem in which many of the Irish community
held Eamonn de Valera, that ultimate poseur.

But, again, there are a million stories in the
naked city:  ask your neighbors about their stories!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry) ([Leica] VERY OT: Michael Collins)