Subject: [Leica] RD 1 vignetting
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Tue Dec 2 15:46:19 2008

At 12:35 AM +0100 12/3/08, Didier Ludwig wrote:
>There is a devignetting feature also in other converters like Adobe
>camera RAW, Lightroom, Aperture et al, but this adds noise in the
>corner fields. What I am concerned, I never used it as I can live
>well with vignetting on wide angle shots.
>Didier
>

>>If you have the software that came with the camera there is a program
>>to correct vignetting. You type in the focal length of the lens to be
>>corrected and the corners are brightened.
>>Cheers
>>Howard

The sensor has a certain dynamic range. If you boost the corners (or
de-vignette) by 4 stops, then the noise in the corners will be like
going from 200 ISO to 3200 if the center is exposed correctly.

Your best bet is usually to only partially de-vignette, and let the
corners stay dark. If the corners are down by 1 or 2 stops, it's
really not that noticeable. What's worse is overcorrecting even to a
small degree.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design