Subject: [Leica] CS4 Extended Depth of Field Trial
From: leicar at q.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Tue Nov 25 08:19:50 2008

My understanding is that it looks at each layer (photo taken with a
different focal point) and looks for the sharpest details and masks the rest
of the photo.  When it is all done, you can look at each layer and see what
is has chosen as "in focus" and see how it masks the rest out.  Not sure
what it did in the case of the leaves that were moving.  It is really
remarkable.

I put my Leica 35-70/4 on my Rebel XTi and set it up on a tripod.  I used
f-4 or 1/2 stop down (I forgot) and focused on the front of the sundial,
then gradually moved the focus point further back until about 6 exposures
later, I was focused on the back of the sundial.  I plan on trying a much
deeper trial maybe today. I'll pick a subject w/o any moving leaves or
objects this time.  I was going to try my picket fence, but thought that
would be too academic and boring.  Sundials are more interesting to me.

Aram

> Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 19:05:16 -0800
> From: mehrdad <msadat@gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] CS4 Extended Depth of Field Trial
> To: "Leica Users Group" <lug@leica-users.org>
>
> what does it do>? does blur the surrounding?
>

> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 6:56 PM, Aram Langhans <leicar@q.com> wrote:
>
> > Here is an attempt at using PS CS4's Extended DOF feature.  It is a
> blend
> > of
> > 6 images.  It looks a bit funny because the wind was blowing around
> some of
> > the leaves, so some are ghostly in appearance.  I kind of like that,
> but
> > that was not the purpose.  I just wanted to give the new feature a
> try.
> > Anyone have some better examples?
> >
> > <
> > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/sundial-fall-9911-