Subject: [Leica] forget about coatings, how about them scratches...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Mon Nov 24 11:10:46 2008

Never mind a scratch! How about a zit burned into the surface of a 28mm R
lens from a welding rod spark because I was shooting a tad tooooooo close!

Oh you could see the zit quite easily looking at the surface. However the
lens continued to cut images without any problem.  But I figured the lens
was done and over .... BUT SURPRISE?....

It still cut nice sharp images without any change in sharpness of exposed
images, slide or neg. film. Even when we made 16X20 prints.

As far as the lens in the post that's for sale?

 >>> The seller claims the pictures are "nice without observed effects from
the scratch." The lens normally goes for $1500, but this one with the
scratch is asking for $1200. What do you think? Worth $1000?<<<<<

Offer whatever you think it's worth and see what happens because anything
else asked here is hypothetical. He's asking $1200? Offer him whatever below
that, say $800 as you can always go up to $1000 and he can always come down?

ted